Saturday, December 17, 2011

Winter Solstice, Yule, Christmas, etc

This year like so many of my resent past, I have not been in the mood for the tree, decorations, merriment etc for Yule/Winter Solstice.  Money tight, working etc just doesn't seem the same as when the kids were little.  Anyway, Mike and Rhonda decided I needed my decorations up, so they decided to use my Samhain tree (black with white lights) and it seemed fitting for my first Yule in this apartment so I said do what you wish.  I sat at the computer trying to figure out what I was making my Mom, have my Dad's gift done, but not at that point and thinking about how I use to be able to afford to get my boys the gifts on their list.  Then it hit me... RIGHT!  I had a husband with a very decent job!  I wasn't paying the bills alone, I wasn't trying to figure out how I was going to fix my truck blah blah and blah.  So then and there I decided, Yule isn't about gifts and stockings full of fun, it is about the Winter Solstice!  Goddess giving birth to the Sun God and new beginnings!
I love that my parents and I are having a home-made gift exchange this year, we are all 'crafty' in one way or another and it is going to be my favorite part! 
Found out my adopted son is going to be coming home this year and I haven't seen him in 2 years so it is going to be the best part for me!
Below are pictures of the decorations and my mantle, but I wanted to add... no matter the tradition you hold in your family what is important is that you are together at some point and that in my case, I celebrate the re-birth of the Sun God and have a festive dinner with my children, some fun with some friends and celebrate the Winter Solstice with my meditation group!
So, that being said, I will start Sunday at Moot the them is 'Drumming in the Sun' and the Ritual Dragon Drummers will be there along with many of my friends from the wiccan/pagan community, my 2 son's and their girls will be here for a turkey dinner on the 21st, my meditation group is doing a ritual for Winter Solstice on the Thursday and then I am working Friday - Tuesday.  I will get to see my other son Christmas morning and that makes me very happy!  I keep Christmas for Joe who is my birth youngest and doesn't accept my Wiccan/Pagan faith, well not accept but doesn't acknowledge is more like it.  So, they will get their gifts on the 21st and stockings on the 25th and whoever can be here before I go to bed is welcomed.  I am sure it will be Ryan and Mike and his girl.  Joe will go to their dad's to be there Christmas morning with their little brother.
So whatever your faith, tradition or mindset... have a very blessed time over the holidays!  Be safe and feel love, I will miss my family this year since I have to work, but they are in my heart.
Pictures!
Tree 2011

The stockings were hung


Love my Mantle! Mike did a Great job

Mantle close up

Found this in Pinterest.com and thought it was very fitting, I hope you enjoy it and have a lovely time with your family and friends over the holidays!
May God and Goddess bless and keep you safe during the merry season,
~Blessed Be~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are 100% right about Christmas and Yule being different. As a matter of fact, I venture to say they are just about as opposite as opposite can get. As for decorating for Christmas, by the time I'm done with the tree and mantle I'm usually ready to shove the fucker up someone's ass.